Friday, November 9, 2012

The 1st one

Hi,

I'm starting my own lab in a few months and I find this to be a very exciting and terrifying time. Exciting because after years and years of training I finally get to lead my own scientific research developing new ideas and exploring important questions, hopefully leading to great science and major discoveries. Terrifying because I'm not entirely sure how to do this. What if the ideas don't quite pan out? What if the funding agencies don't believe in me? What if?

I've been talking to a lot of friends and colleagues and mentors. I've been taking classes and reading books. There is a lot information out there and a lot of confusion, so I thought I'd try to put everything I'm learning and everything I'm worried about in one place. I'm going to talk about my experience in the Captain's log, but also list resources for grantsmanship and management, and talk about cool things in the lab. By journaling and sharing this trip maybe I can find help around the way and be helpful to others...

No comments:

Post a Comment